Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Earnings Highlights
- Diversified and integrated model delivers record fourth quarter after-tax operating earnings of $372 million, or $1.27 per diluted share, and record full year after-tax operating earnings of $1,331 million, or $4.55 per diluted share
- Assets under management of $592 billion, with total company net cash flows of $19 billion for the year
- Strong investment performance continues with more than 75% of investment options1 in the top two Morningstar quartiles on a three and five-year basis
- Deployed $856 million of capital in 2016; including common stock dividends, share repurchases, debt reduction, and increased ownership in our investment boutiques
- Announced a first quarter 2017 dividend of $0.45 per share; bringing the trailing twelve month dividend to $1.68, an 11 percent increase compared to the first quarter 2016 trailing twelve month period.
Investment performance represents the percentage of Principal mutual funds, separate accounts and collective investment trusts in the top two Morningstar quartiles